Herbert (Bert) C. Liebmann, III has practiced law in Green Bay since 1968. He practices primarily in the areas of estate planning and wealth preservation, probate and trust administration, business planning and organization, business acquisitions and sales, as well as other general business issues. Bert also does substantial real estate work, work with non-profit organizations, personal injury claims and business disputes.
In addition to his many professional and civic activities, Bert organized and served as the first Chairman of the General Practice Section of the State Bar of Wisconsin and he was a coordinating editor of the first edition of the Wisconsin Attorney's Desk Reference. More recently he served on a State Bar Committee that published a handbook on "Flexible Work Options for Lawyers."
Born and raised in Green Bay, Bert attended Regis University in Denver, Colorado where he graduated with a degree in English. He continued his education, earning his Juris Doctorate from Harvard University Law School. After school, Bert returned to Green Bay to begin his practice. In 1976, he was a founding partner at Liebmann, Conway, Olejniczak & Jerry, one of the largest firms in Northeastern Wisconsin.
Throughout his professional years, Bert has contributed time and talent to many public services, agencies, and efforts, including serving as President of the Greater Green Bay Community Foundation, Inc., President of Bay Area Community Council, Inc., President of the Board of the Green Bay Joint School District #1, and Chairman of the Green Bay Area Chamber of Commerce, among others. He is presently on the Board of Directors of the Ecumenical Foundation, Inc., and Cerebral Palsy, Inc, a Green Bay based organization offering therapy, vocational, daycare, and a variety of other services for a variety of disadvantaged people. He recently completed terms on the Boards of the Wisconsin Equal Justice Fund, and of the Multicultural Center of Greater Green Bay.
Outside of the office, Bert enjoys a very active life. He and his wife love spending time with their grandchildren. For a number of years in the late 1990’s and the early part of this century, Bert enjoyed racing Porsches. Bert continues to enjoy downhill skiing, kayaking on rivers and on the Bay of Green Bay and Lake Michigan, and travel with his wife and friends. After 40 years of practice, Bert still enjoys it and is excited about founding another new firm. When asked about retirement and scaling his hours back, he jokingly responds, “I guess I don’t come in on Saturday as much as I used to.”
- Business & Corporate Law
- Estate / Retirement Planning
- Trust Administration & Probate
- Non-Profit Institutions
- J.D. - Harvard Law School
- A.B. - Regis University, cum laude
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- Supreme Court of the United States
Honors & Recognition
- Daniel Whitney Award, Green Bay Area Chamber of Commerce
- Honorary Lifetime Board Membership, Cerebral Palsy Inc.
- Beyond the Call Award, Legal Action of Wisconsin, Western Wisconsin Legal Services, Wisconsin Judicare, Legal Services of Northeastern Wisconsin
- AV® Preeminent™, Peer Review Rate, Martindale-Hubbell® - 15 consecutive years
Affiliations & Memberships
- Member, Wisconsin Bar Association
- Member, Brown County Bar Association
- Member, Green Bay Estate Planning Forum
- Former Director, Wisconsin Equal Justice Fund, Inc.
- Former Chairman, General Practice Section, State Bar of Wisconsin
- Former Member, Services to Lawyers Committee, State Bar of Wisconsin
Professional & Civic Activities
- Board of Directors, Ecumenical Foundation, Inc.
- Board of Directors, Cerebral Palsy, Inc.
- Founding Member & Past President, Greater Green Bay Community Foundation, Inc.
- Former Member, Fundraising Cabinet for the Meyer Theater
- Former Member, Fundraising Cabinet, Advancing the Mission Capitol Drive, Catholic Diocese of Green Bay
- Past President, Board of Education, Green Bay Joint School District No. 1
- Former Chairman, Green Bay Area Chamber of Commerce